Thursday, March 26, 2009

Behind the Canadian Pacific Railway

This is a response to assignment #10 on the workers of the Canadian Pacific Railway

"The most important step in the development of British Columbia after joining Confederation in 1871 was the construction of Canadian Pacific Railway."


This railway was so important because it connected this province to the rest of Canada's trade and economy. It was one of the largest projects that the young country of Canada took on. This was of course a very tough task so the main contractor of this project, Andrew Onderdonk, decided that instead of having Canadians do the work, he would bring in about 15, 000 Chinese immigrants to do the hard work. The following will be a diary entry from the perspective of a son of a railway worker.

-----------------------------------------------

Dear Diary,

Today is another day in this new country. Another work day for papa, another pair of the same meals, and another afterschool diary entry. This place is much different from home, but we seem to be with many people that we knew.

Papa is treated better here, but some of his friends who work with him have disappeared, whenever I asked my dad why they're gone, he just ignores me but I think that they have died on the job. That only makes me wonder, if people who work with my dad die at work, what if my dad dies, too?



Papa keeps reassuring us that he won't get hurt but I can tell that mama is worried every day. We are lucky this week because papa is working near, alot of the time papa will be working very far away for a very long time. We live in a hut and some others live tent.



Life is better here, but I feel like it can be even better because the way that the other people of this land are treated and how they live. We have to pay for food and material for cooking while the white men don't. As for the food, it is usually the same-rice, fish and tea.

My father feels very strongly that I should have an education so I go to school with other Chinese kids. Mama learns a language that they call "English". She goes to the language school at night.

I don't play very much but I like school because I can be with my friends, we all talk alot and they feel how I feel because their fathers are doing the same thing that my father is. But I am worried about some of my friends because they seem to be getting sick. I will keep them in my prayers.

Tomorrow-mama is calling me to supper, but i will finish writing tomorrow.


These sites proved to be useful in researching the CPR, check them out:

cpr.ca



ccn.ca


BC Archives

Collections Canada

http://archives.cbc.ca/society/immigration/topics/1433/

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/settlement/kids/021013-2031.4-e.html































No comments:

Post a Comment